Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Great Flood

 

 My deepest sympathies go out to the families affected by the recent flood caused by that fucking asshole called 'Ondoy'. After I got home from Manila (yes, I was in Manila with Pao when the disaster struck, we were stranded for 15 hours at the NLEX on the way home), I immediately logged on to my Tumblr and Twitter and helped monitor news regarding the victims.

Tomorrow, Pao's going to help out by volunteering at the ABSCBN Foundation (heard GMA Kapuso Foundtation's undermanned) and will be helping out his clasmates who were affected by the flood.

If I didn't have a regular job here, I owuld also like to volunteer and help out, after all, I'm an underemployed RN so I should put my already vanishing nursing skillz to good use, eh? But I can't. I can't file for a leave because I have too much work to do. I'll probably find a way to help.

While we were stranded on the bus, watching the news coverage about the typhoon, I considered ourselves lucky. Sure we were tired and exhausted but that was nothing compared to the horror of being marooned in 10ft floods while clinging to your life on rooftops. It was unbelievable.
 
Olongapo, too was struck by floods recently. I spent the entire night with my officemates for the typhoon watch. It was harrowing; the first time since 1997 that the city was submerged in floods.

So, if you guys can help, please do so. A lot of our countrymen are still in need of relief goods and other basic commodities. Donate, Volunteer (Red Cross!), Help. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home